Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Oh, and I can drive a forklift

It's on days like today that I miss London. Okay, there have been a lot of days in the last three months that I have missed London.
In a city so large expansive as London I often found that smiling at someone and saying thank you brought out the best of them. Don't get me wrong. I don't consider London to be the friendliest city I've ever visited. What with people just trying to get through the day with the Tube and buses and busy streets and of course the endless line-ups for ready-made food at M&S, Tesco and heaven forbid, Asda.

But yes, officially, I miss London. London has a lot to offer a single girl like me. It's got museums to wander, gorgeous cafes with delectable treats to indulge in and markets where shouts of "2 for a 5-er" are routine.

Back in Metro Vancouver now it's been challenging. The job search, the reconnecting with friends, the transport (can Vancouver public transport get beyond the idea that everyone is trying to commute to downtown Vancouver and build an intercommunity system yet?) The people that I met in London were absolutely superb. Trust me when I say that there were days where a good cry and a scream into a pillow and a cider at the end of the day were was got me through it. But I don't regret the challenge. I don't regret the leap of faith I took in myself.

I've decided that I need to take more on and keep my hands and mind busy. London will be there. But now it's on to the next adventure. That adventure hasn't shown itself yet and for now I'm biding my time. But world, bring it on. I'm ready, able and willing. Oh, and I can drive a forklift.

No comments:

Post a Comment