Sunday, May 13, 2012

When I was 4 years old I saw a hero, 23 years later I got to meet him

The month marks the 25 year anniversary of Rick Hansen Man in Motion Tour reaching Thermal Drive in Coquitlam, BC. I was just under 5 years when he pushed himself, in a wheelchair, up the 17% grade hill. Second only to the Great Wall of China, this was his toughest hill on the tour.
I remember being woken up by my mother than morning and walking the 2 blocks to Thermal Drive. We parked ourselves on the sidewalk and watched as used every ounce of strength, courage and energy to make to the top. He raised funds for people in wheelchairs just like him.

In 2010 I had the pleasure of meeting Rick Hansen in person. He was the Mayor of the Vancouver Athletes Village for the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. It was one of the few times I've ever been star-struck and nervous to speak to someone. This was a man that pushed himself around the world in a wheelchair.



I was lucky to have the opportunity to meet a number of paralympians two years ago that were the most incredible athletes I had ever met. Performing on the world's stage they were the most down-to-earth, real people. They didn't demand special treatment or fancy cars. They wanted a platform to show the world that their skills were meant to be admired. And damn did they command it.

The summer of 2012 I return to be part of the Paralympics. Already I have had the opportunity to watch one of the most gruelling sports of the Paralympics: wheelchair rugby (also called murderball.) Imagine trying to throw score points by throwing a volleyball-like ball down the court to a teammate but being smashed from behind by a wheelchair. These are the toughest athletes I've ever seen. In 108 London welcomes the world to watch, cheer and participate in the 2012 Paralympics. It promises to an educational and entertaining experience for everyone involved. I can't even begin to explain how thrilled I am to be part of it. Let's get this show started!



No comments:

Post a Comment