Sunday, February 12, 2012

Way down down she's bound to break ya

So it's been a little cold in London. Saturday was certainly no exception. I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever be warm again.

The morning started with a short wander up to Blackheath through Greenwich Park.

I found out the circus was in town!

Apparently golf was introduced to England in Blackheath!
I also wandered over to Canada Water area and spotted the new library (read more here). I will definitely have to go back and check it out. As libraries are consistently under threat around the world it's quite something to see a new public building being constructed. Long live the printed book!
Then it was time to get ready for the concert. I knew it would be a challenging night getting to Alexandra Palace and back.
Ridiculous closures on tube and local rail services were closed for 'scheduled engineering works' including the ENTIRE DLR.
So I left my flat on time and arrived on time at Alexandra Palace Station. Only to wait an hour for my friend with the tickets. Luckily there was a news agent there that sold hot chocolate. All hail hot chocolate vendors on cold nights.
Alexandra Palace, 'The People's Palace', is a massive venue for concerts. It's great when you're tall and can see the performers. Not so great when you're 5 foot 2 inches on a good day. With tall drunk people throwing/spilling drinks everywhere including on me, pushy people knocking me over then trying to apologize by sticking their tongue down my throat (who got a good smack, let me tell you that) I can safely say I did not have the best experience at the Black Keys concert. They put on a great show but the inability to see them was aggravating.

The 2+hour commute home on public transit (20min walk to tube, 3 different trains, 1 bus, 1 crappy donair later) didn't make the night any more enjoyable. But, then I realized the following:
-that I can only control myself in that situation
-that I did see (hear) an amazing show
-that I'm in freaking London and that I need to get over it

No comments:

Post a Comment