Sunday, February 19, 2012

¿Qué fiesta más divertida!

What a fun party!

Yes, indeed it was.
A few weeks back I got the following invite:

And of course I said "Yes!"
My typical wardrobe Monday-Friday (and let's be realistic, Saturday and Sunday too) is jeans, runners and a jumper. Friday's evening out in the Mayfair neighbourhood of London required a drastic change in wardrobe. So I bought a dress. And wore heels. I'll definitely wear the dress again. The shoes will be tossed under my bed and hopefully never warn again.

So yes, as a Canadian I was lucky enough to visit The Official Residence of the Canadian High Commission for a bit of a kick-off celebration for the London 2012 Summer Olympics for the Canadian Olympic Committee. Free wine, appetizers, Armando making sure our glasses were consistently full and a statue of a mountie were all part of the evening.

The party was attended by staff working for the Summer Games all hailing from Canada. It is rather ironic that we all moved across the world and were attending a party for fellow Canadians. But you can't argue with free booze in a swanky neighbourhood.

For the third time this week I met Mark Tewksbury. Mark is the 'Chef de Mission' (CdM) for the Canadian Olympic Committee this year. Mark was fantastic and I'm so excited to have him as the CdM. Mark even performed a little rally cheer for us:
"I'm a beaver, you're a beaver.
Beavers we are all.
And when we get together, we do the beaver call,
Nawnawnawnaw."

My feet were in excruciating pain at the end of the night as the Canadian contingent moved on to a night club. A 3 level bar, club, club with 80s musics blasting. The night ended with a ride home on the good old Jubilee Line. All I can say is thank goodness the bus stop is right out front my door.

Saturday morning came too soon but I was rewarded with what I've wanted since I arrived. Mascots!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment