Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trdlo: old Czech bread. And meat.

When visiting a new city, country, region or what have you I feel it is important if not crucial to spending some quality time with the menu.
In London this means curries and fish and chips and of course artery-clogging pork pie (don't tempt me with them, it is a weakness!) In Prague there was no shortage of food. One of our favourites would have to be the Trdlo or Trdelnik. It truly was a well-deserved treat after a long day wandering the historical city. Essentially a trdlo is a piece of sweet bread wrapped around a pipe (hopefully not lead) and baked over a flame and is in the shape of a ring. It tastes amazing with sugar and almond bits on the outside. The kicker is when you ask for Nutella to be added. Heaven. Sheer heaven.
Yes the sweet trdlo was welcomed with open arms. That being said it was of course the meat that stole the show. I haven't seen many menus that were as jam-packed with meat-focused meals than when I was last Memphis Blues BBQ Restaurant and overdosed on brisket. Warnings from friends about the amount of meat served up where accepted with a bit of a laugh. Little did we know that the epic Bohemia Platter would put our laughs to rest:


Silly Canadian girls were are, we thought it wise to order chicken wings on top of behemoth platter of meat. Ridiculous I know. Needless to say we didn't finish the Bohemia Platter. Nor did we finish the chicken wings. Instead we rolled up the hill 2 blocks to our hotel.
And I may have had one of these as a bed time snack.


Milka biscuits!?!?!?!?! I must be dreaming. Milka and I go way back to 1998 when I went to Austria for the first time.

Did I mention I had goulash for lunch. And loved it? It must have been the dumplings. Ohhh the dumplings, how they go to your hips.

No comments:

Post a Comment